- Applicants must be in grades 9, 10 or 11 at the time of application.
- Applicants should be open-minded, flexible, willing to accept new challenges and reading for rewarding experiences.
- A hard copy of the application must be submitted to the JCMU office in East Lansing by the second Friday in March.
Application ProcessApplicants must submit a completed application form (along with the other documents outlined in the application cover sheet):
- Full Application: 2018 Michigan-Shiga HS Exchange Application
- Teacher Recommendation Form (if you need additional copies): 2018 Michigan-Shiga HS Exchange Application - Teacher Recommendation Form
Completed applications should be sent to:
427 N. Shaw Lane, Rm. 110
East Lansing, MI 48824
Requirements of Participation
- Students must submit a photocopy of the signed photo page of their passport by Friday, May 4, 2018. Passports must be valid for three months after the program end date.
- Students and parents must attend the orientation held in East Lansing at Michigan State University.
- Families of selected students must host a Japanese student for two weeks in late August / early September.
- Michigan families must arrange transportation to and from Lansing for their Shiga student at the beginning of the Shiga students' visit to Michigan, as well attend the closing reception.
- The high school attended by the Michigan student must be willing to welcome a Japanese student to its classes for two weeks in September.